Sunday 5 September 2010

Highstreet

Time for a quick rant from me about the state of a certain British high street store. While some shops seem to have got the right mix of fashionable basics and great value down to a tee (hello H&M and your super hot designer collaborations with Jimmy Choo, Mathew Williamson and the just announced colab with Lanvin to name a few) an old favourite to nearly every Brit, and visitor from everywhere else in the world, seems to be taking a few steps back.
That's right, I'm talking about Topshop. Great shoes, great jewellery (not minding the shit quality - nearly every piece of jewellery brought from there has broken or stained my finger green) but the clothes just aren't doing it for me anymore. Toppers used to be the single best shop out there - their Oxford Circus store left me feeling like I'd died and gone to heaven - but recently has left me feeling blank and uninspired. I don't know if it's the way my fashion sense has progressed to a more "anti-consumer" level, or if Topshop really is becoming more and more about pleasing everyone that walks through the door. Maybe it's a bit of both, but it seems like the clothes are becoming less original and more, dare I say it, common.
Don't get me wrong, I still go in to check out their latest offerings, and you can always find a few hidden gems if you look hard enough. Their range by Kate Moss is about the most unique thing in there at the moment, but that's just taken from other designers and made a bit more everyday. Come on Topshop; I miss buying your clothes!! Step it up a level! Zara, H&M and (my favourite) Urban Outfitters are becoming more and more popular and fashion forward as the days go by. Stop trying to please everyone and go back to the forefront of British fashion! The high street needs you!!



Oh, and just in case you were wondering the Lanvin collaboration hits 200 specially picked stores worldwide on the 23rd November, with a special film showcasing the designs on 2nd November. Don't forget to check it out, past colabs haven't let me down - I'm still loving on my Jimmy Choo's.
Click here for the mega exciting press release!

No comments:

Post a Comment